TEXARKANA — The Texarkana Water Utility (TWU) says their website was subject to a ransomware attack that was noticed on Sunday, Dec. 6.
According to the TWU’s information technology department, they noticed suspicious activity on the network that serves Bowie County, the Cities of Texarkana, Arkansas and Texarkana, Texas. Here is what TWU’s IT department has confirmed to this point:
- The network serving these entities was attacked by ransomware.
- It is unknown how long the ransomware was on the network before discovery. It has been confirmed that it existed prior to Thursday, Nov. 26.
- There was a data incident, but at this time TWU there is no evidence that personal information has been compromised.
- TWU says there will not be an interruption to water services as a result of this event.
- There is an ongoing investigation, and to protect the integrity of the process, some information will not be released at this time, TWU says.
- The process of repairing PCs and systems is ongoing. The scope of this event is not yet understood.