FORT WORTH — A pair of two run home runs from Hunter Wolfe and Zach Humphreys were the difference in a 4-1 victory for No. 10 TCU over Liberty Friday night at Lupton Stadium. Johnny Ray and Haylen Green combined to strike out 12 batters.
Elijah Nunez opened the first with a base hit. Two batters later, Hunter Wolfe launched his first home run of the season over the scoreboard in left field to give the Horned Frogs a 2-0 lead.
Liberty cut the deficit in half with a one out, solo home run in the third. The Flames kept threatening with back-to-back two out hits, but Nunez came up throwing and cut the runner down trying to move from first to third to end the inning.
The Flames had two runners on in each of the next two frames. Johnny Ray’s eighth strikeout of the game ended the fourth, while Haylen Green (1-0) came on in the fifth and needed just one pitch to end the threat.
No. 10 TCU picked up two big insurance runs off the bat of Zach Humphreys in the sixth. Gene Wood kept the inning alive with a two out single. Humphreys took the 1-2 offering and deposited it over the right field fence for a 4-1 lead.
Green picked up the win in relief, throwing 4 1/3 shutout innings. He retired the final eight batters he faced and allowed just one hit. Green finished the night with four strikeouts. Johnny Ray started and went 4 2/3 innings in the no-decision. He allowed a run on five hits, walked three and struck out a career-high eight batters.
Stat of the Game:
13 – Haylen Green came on in the fifth inning and retired 13 of the 14 batters he faced.
- The TCU pitching staff recorded double-digit strikeouts for the fifth time this season.
- TCU outhit its opponent for the second time this season
- TCU played flawless defense for the third straight game.
- TCU hit its first true home runs of the season. Phillip Sikes’ home run in Tuesday’s win was an inside the park home run.
- Johnny Ray struck out a career-high eight batters.
- Elijah Nunez tallied his first career multi-hit game.
- Nunez collected his second outfield assist of the year.
- Hunter Wolfe tallied his second multi-RBI game of the season and the 13th of his career.
- Wolfe hit his first home run of the season and the ninth of his career.
- Zach Humphreys hit his first home run of the season and the sixth of his career.
- Humphreys collected his first multi-hit game of the season and the 29thof his career.
- Luke Boyers, Hunter Wolfe and Gene Wood have reached safely in all five games.
- Gene Wood has reached safely in 10 straight games dating back to last season.
TCU (3-2) and Liberty (2-3) will play a doubleheader on Saturday starting at Noon. Both games will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.