HOUSTON – No. 9 TCU scored a run in six of eight offensive inning en route to another run-rule victory as it topped Texas State 10-0 Saturday night at Minute Maid Park. Russell Smith was brilliant on the mound with a career-high 13 strikeouts. Nine Horned Frogs registered a hit, while seven drove in a run.
Russell Smith (2-0) allowed only four base runners in his six innings on the mound. The Bobcats registered just two hits, drew one walk and had one reach on an error. No base runner advanced past second base in the contest. River Riding walked one and struck out one in his lone inning while, while Dalton Brown fanned two and worked around a one-out error in his time on the mound.
TCU opened the scoring in the second, taking advantage of a hit batter. Conner Shepherd stole second and eventually scored on a Gene Wood sacrifice fly for a 1-0 lead.
The Frogs picked up two more runs in the fourth on a Phillip Sikes double that brought home Zach Humphreys and Wood for a 3-0 advantage.=
Brayden Taylor and Hunter Wolfe drove in runs in the fifth after Elijah Nunez and Luke Boyers opened the inning with base hits. Back-to-back two out doubles from Sikes and Tommy Sacco pushed the TCU lead to 6-0.
Wolfe earned a free trip around the bases in the seventh after drawing a one-out walk. A stolen base and two wild pitches later, he crossed the plate to make it a 7-0 ballgame.
TCU end the game with a three-spot in the eighth. Taylor tripled home Boyers and scored on a Gray Rodgers pinch-hit single. With the bases-loaded, Rhett Maynard drew the walk for a 10-0 final score.
Stat of the Game:
13 – TCU starting pitcher Russell Smith fanned a career-high 13 batters in just six innings of work. It’s the most strikeouts for a TCU pitcher since Nick Lodolo fanned 13 at Texas Tech on May 16, 2019.
- TCU registered its second shutout of the season.
- TCU scored double-digit runs for the fourth time this season.
- TCU tallied double-digit hits for the fifth time this year.
- TCU outhit its opponent for the seventh time this season.
- The TCU pitching staff registered a season-high 16 strikeouts.
- The TCU pitching staff tallied double-digit strikeouts for the seventh time this season.
- Dalton Brown made his first appearance on the mound, his first since June 2, 2019 against Central Connecticut State.
- Luke Boyers and Hunter Wolfe have reached safely in all 10 games.
- Boyers stretched his hitting streak to eight games.
- Elijah Nunez has reached safely in nine straight games.
- Brayden Taylor collected his third career multi-RBI game.
- Phillip Sikes collected his fifth multi-hit game of the year and the seventh of his career.
- Sikes tallied his fourth multi-RBI game of the season and the fifth of his career.
TCU improves to 8-2 on the season. The Horned Frogs wrap up play in the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic in Houston at Minute Maid Park Sunday against Sam Houston. First pitch against the Bearkats is set for 3 p.m. The game will be televised on AT&T Sports SW and Astros.com.