FORT WORTH — TCU returned to the win column with a 10-2 victory over Tarleton State Tuesday night at Lupton Stadium. The Horned Frogs scored in five of their last six offensive innings to rally for the win.
Tarleton opened up a 2-0 advantage in the first three innings. In each frame, the lead-off batter reached and eventually scored.
TCU knotted the game at two in the third. Tommy Sacco led off the inning with a walk and scored on a two out Phillip Sikes double. Brayden Taylor followed with a game-tying double.
Gene Wood was hit by a pitch to open the fourth and after two stolen bases, he scored easily on a Gray Rodgers sacrifice fly for a 3-2 lead.
Two more runs crossed the plate in the fifth as the lead grew to three, 5-2. Wood singled home Taylor and eventually scored on a Rodgers base hit. TCU added a two-out run on a Rodgers base hit in the seventh.
Zach Humphreys singled home Sikes in the eighth and Conner Shepherd launched a three-run pinch hit home run to account for the final score.
Marcelo Perez (1-0) picked up the win in relief. He allowed a run on three hits, walked one and struck out one in 3 2/3 innings. Haylen Green tallied the final five outs of the game, registering three strikeouts to pick up his seventh save of the season.
Stat of the Game:
8 – Conner Shepherd’s home run in the eighth made it eight straight games with a home run for TCU. The pinch hit home run was the fourth of the season for the Frogs.
- TCU has homered in 22 games this season.
- TCU played errorless baseball for the 16th time this season.
- TCU tallied double-digit hits for the 18thtime this year.
- TCU score double-digit runs for the 12thtime this year.
- TCU stole multiple bases for the 15thtime this season.
- Elijah Nunez has reached safely in eight straight.
- Phillip Sikes has reached safely in 21 straight contests.
- Sikes notched his 12thmulti-hit game of the year and the 14thof his career.
- Brayden Taylor has reached base safely in 11 straight.
- Taylor tallied his 11th career multi-hit game.
- Hunter Wolfe has reached safely in 13 straight games.
- Conner Shepherd hit his fourth home run of the season and the 21stof his career.
- Shepherd notched his fifth multi-RBI game of the year and the 19thof his career.
- Gray Rodgers tallied his fourth multi-RBI game of the season and the seventh of his career.
- Rodgers collected his sixth multi-hit game of the year and the 13thof his career.
- Tommy Sacco has reached safely in 20 straight contests.
With the win, the Horned Frogs improve to 23-9 on the season. TCU will continue its homestand this weekend when it hosts Oklahoma State in a three game series. Friday’s series opener is set for 6:30 p.m. All three games will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.