FORT WORTH — No. 8 TCU stretched its winning streak to five with a 9-1 victory over UT Arlington Tuesday night at Lupton Stadium. Luke Savage, Drew Hill and Garrett Wright combined to toss the Horned Frogs’ second one-hitter of the season. Brayden Taylor had three hits and drove in four in the win.
Making his collegiate debut, Luke Savage (1-0) found himself in a bit of trouble in the first after the first three batters reached. He retired the next three and limited the Mavericks to just one run in the inning. He allowed two walks and struck out two in his four innings of work.
Drew Hill took over in the fifth and retired all nine batters he faced before turning the ball over to Garrett Wright in the eighth. Wright struck out two and retired all six batters he faced. All told, the trio retired 17 straight to end the game.
Offensively, the Frogs took the lead with two runs on a two-out single from Brayden Taylor and a double from Zach Humphreys in the third.
Gene Wood doubled to lead off the fourth, stole third and scored on a Gray Rodgers groundout for a 3-1 lead.
Five runs crossed the plate for the Frogs in the fifth as the lead grew to 8-1. Taylor had a two-run double to drive in the first two runs of the inning. After Humphreys was hit by the pitch, Wood tripled home two more runs and scored on a Rodgers base hit.
The final run of the game came on Taylor’s 10th home run of the year in the sixth.
Stat of the Game:
1 – TCU tossed its second one-hitter of the season and the 21st in program history. Six Horned Frog pitchers limited UAPB to just one hit on March 16.
- TCU improves to 15-2 at home this season.
- TCU has homered in 26 games this season.
- TCU has hit a home run in 12 straight games.
- TCU outhit its opponent for the 23rdtime this season.
- Luke Savage made his collegiate debut.
- Elijah Nunez has reached safely in 12 straight.
- Brayden Taylor has reached base safely in 15 straight.
- Taylor collected his 13th career multi-hit game and his 11th career multi-RBI game of the season.
- Taylor hit his 10th home run of the season.
- Gene Wood tallied his eighth multi-hit game of the season and the 21stof his career.
- Wood recorded his 10thmulti-RBI games of the year and the 16thof his career.
- Gray Rodgers has reached safely in seven straight games.
- Rodgers notched his seventh multi-RBI game of the year and the 10thof his career.
- Phillip Sikes has reached safely in 25 straight contests.
- Tommy Sacco has reached safely in 24 straight contests.
With the win, the Horned Frogs improve to 27-9 on the season. TCU will host Kansas in a three game Big 12 series starting Friday night at Lupton Stadium. Game time is set for 6:30 p.m. All three games will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.