WACO, Texas – TCU rallied from a three run ninth inning deficit to force extras and scored three times in the 11th to pick up an 11-9 win over Baylor Saturday afternoon at Baylor Ballpark. Mason Speaker drove in two runs off the bench.
TCU forced extra innings with a three run ninth. Four straight walks to open the inning made it an 8-6 ballgame. Luke Boyers was hit with an 0-2 pitch to pull the Frogs within one. Mason Speaker’s pinch hit, infield single tied the game.
TCU completed its comeback in the 11th inning, scoring three runs on two hits and two costly error. Mason Speaker worked a bases-loaded walk to put the Horned Frogs in front. Baylor’s inability to complete an inning-ending double play allowed two insurance runs to cross the plate.
In the bottom of the inning, Baylor hit a solo home run and had the tying runs on base with one out. River Ridings got a strikeout and a flyout to end the game for his sixth save of the season.
Luke Savage (1-0) picked up the win in relief. He retired four of the five batters he faced. Brett
After going down 2-0 in the first, TCU took the lead in the third with five two out runs. Owen Blackledge worked an eight pitch two out walk, starting a string of six Frogs reaching base. With the bases loaded, David Bishop singled home two runs to tie the game. Gray Rodgers put the Frogs on top with a base hit two right and Tommy Sacco made it a 5-2 game with a two run double.
Baylor retook the lead with two runs in the third and two in the fourth. An error in the outfield proved costly as it allowed the tying run to score and put the go-ahead run at third. McKenzie drove in his third run of the game to give Baylor the 6-5 lead.
The Bears opened up a three run lead, 8-5, with a two run home run from Kyle Nevin in the eighth, setting up TCU’s extra inning comeback.
Stat of the Game:
2 – TCU drew two bases loaded walks in the game and now have 12 on the season.
- TCU went to extra innings for the second time this season and is now 2-0 in those games.
- TCU picked up its fifth win of the season when tied or trailing after eight.
- TCU registered double-digit hits (10) for the seventh time this season.
- TCU scored double-digit runs for the sixth time this year.
- TCU was outhit by its opponent for the seventh time this season.
- TCU allowed double-digit hits for the seventh time this season.
- TCU scored six of its eight runs with two outs.
- Owen Blackledge made his first career start.
- Elijah Nunez has reached safely in 13 games.
- Luke Boyers, Tommy Sacco and Brayden Taylor have reached safely in eight games.
- David Bishop has reached safely in all 18 games.
- Bishop tallied his eighth career multi-RBI game.
- Gray Rodgers recorded his sixth multi-hit game of the year and thee 28thof his career.
- Sacco picked up his fourth multi-RBI game of the year and the 14thof his career.
- Luke Boyers posted his seventh multi-hit game of the year and the 18thof his career.
- Blackledge collected his first career hit.
- Mason Speaker recorded his second multi-RBI game of the season and the third of his career.
- River Ridings tallied his seventh career save.
With the win, TCU improves to 14-4 on the season and 2-0 in Big 12 play. TCU will go for the sweep Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. Cam Brown will get the start for the Horned Frogs. The contest will be televised on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.